Well, we made it through the first day without Daddy. Mentally, it was really tough...though we did surprisingly well today. The only hitch yesterday came at bedtime when Sam started crying out that she wanted her Daddy. I reminded her that Daddy is on his way to Iraq to "fly helicopters and protect us." Some people choose not to tell their children anything, some choose to lie about it, but I chose to tell them the honest truth; though it was hard.
.JPG)
.JPG)


We started telling the girls whenever we got the chance about two weeks before he left. We told them that Daddy will be leaving for a long time, and that he is going to Iraq to fly his helicopter and protect us. During our prayers at nighttime we talk about it. Today Sam said "Daddy is eating and brushing his teeth and going night-night over there." I am sure they will be confused in a week or so when they realize he's not coming home for a long time...but for now, when it is hardest on me, they seem to be fine. Whew!
We are doing many things here to keep Daddy close. Before Greg left we went to the local Build A Bear store and let each of the girls pick out there "Daddy animal." Madison picked out a Daddy Cow (go figure...she is obsessed with her lovie Cow). Sam picked out a Daddy Tiger. Greg secretly recorded a message to the girls and was able to put it inside the bears so when they hug them, Daddy talks to them.
We also videoed Greg reading quite a few of their favorite books, so they can have story time with Daddy at night. The girls traced Daddy's hand onto a piece of cardstock to put on the fridge so they can give Daddy a high-five anytime they want.
We took pictures of Greg and the girls that I will put in a kid-friendly album for them, and one to give Greg. And I got a small jar for each of the girls and filled them with jelly beans, one for each day until they see Daddy again (I put an approximate number in for when we think he may come home for R&R and will adjust as the time gets closer). Last night I told them that this was a special jar, filled with special candy (they've never had jelly beans before so it works nicely), and each piece of candy represents one day that we will be without Daddy; and at the end of each day we will eat a piece of candy to show that we are one day closer to seeing Daddy; and when the jar is all gone, Daddy will be home...YAY!!!!!





OK...I'm crying now. You are such a great Mommy to your girls. You are one of the strongest women I know. If anyone can make the best out of this situation, it is you. I can't wait to see you in a few weeks. If I was there I would give you a huge hug! {{HUGS}} That one will have to due for now. Love you girl
ReplyDeleteD
Thanks for the invite to stay in touch. I look forward to hearing good news from/about Greg
ReplyDelete