Friday, August 21, 2009

My first Onesie - need constructive criticism!!

I made Austin an adorable tie onesie! It looks cute from far away, but I am really disappointed in how it looks close up. First of all, I don't like the white thread I used...I wonder if I can get some sort of clear thread? Second, I used Wonder Under to make sure it stayed in place as I sewed it, but the onesie is so thin and stretchy, and the tie fabric is so thin, that it pulled like crazy and resulted in a VERY crooked stitch...not to mention as I was sewing it, the fabric was already fraying at the ends. Is there something you can buy that will seal off the edge of the fabric before you sew it down? Surely, if I've thought of it, there is something I can buy! I guess I could fold the edge in, but then how would I make it lay flat around the corners/points of the tie?



If you are wondering why I didn't use a stitch that covered the edge of the fabric, here is why. I also made another onesie for Austin. I had his name embroidered on a rectangular piece of fabric then Wonder Undered it to the onesie and went to sewing the edge with a thick stitch. Though Mom and Happy say it is fine, it really looks like a disaster. Again, the onesie fabric and the small piece of fabric pulled and moved, and boy that thick stitch is HARD to do!!! You can't stop and start without it bunching up in one place, and if you don't pull at EXACTLY the same pace and strength the entire time it looks terribly uneven....and it seems next to impossible to do that! I know, the more I practice the better it will look, but geez...I'm gonna ruin a lot of onesies in the process it seems! As I am writing this a light bulb just went off in my head, go buy the same kind of fabric as the onesies to practice on Jen!!! DUH!!

So what do y'all think? What can I do to make it look better????

3 comments:

  1. I think it looks really good and it's super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay! I am good at opinions hehe, I think it turned out very cute. Though if you are unhappy w/it, use an iron on adhesive and then you don't have to worry about the stitching, its called Stitch Witchery I believe. Another idea would be to iron down the edges under like you mentioned, if you iron it, it would be fairly flat, one more suggestion on the color of the thread, I think the white was fine, though a navy or light blue may have looked better to you. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firsts are always fun to learn from! You can use Fray-Check to keep the edges from fraying, you can find it in the notions section of sewing stores. Also, try Steam-a-Seam, a very strong applique paper... also in your notions section. If all that doesn't work, try using a different needle- a ballpoint needle is best for regular knits.
    I hope this helps, but really, even your close-up picture doesn't show what you were talking about! It looks great. And it only gets better from there!
    p.s. Thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete