Sam had her tonsils and adenoids removed yesterday as well as a second round of tubes in her ears. I apologize if we didn't let you know ahead of time. Here's how it went down...
Sam had been having ear pain again (the 3rd or 4th time since the end of February) so I took her into her doctor yet again. And just as the other times we went in, her ears were fine, but her tonsils were large. This being a multiple visit for the same thing, I told my doctor I was concerned and we talked it out. She had lost 3.5 pounds in about 6 weeks (since the first time we came in with this same issue), her speech is very nasal-y, she's heavy breathing/snoring at night again, she complains of ear pain a lot but her ears haven't been infected, she asks me a lot: is this food soft on my throat, and while she always eats slow and not very much, she has been eating significantly slower and not wanting to ever finish her food. So, her doctor ordered an xray thinking her adenoids had grown back, and so that we could see the back of the tonsils. Sure enough, the adenoids that she had surgically removed at about 18 months old had returned and were "prominent." So, I kept calling the ENT for a couple of days trying to get her into the earliest possible appointment I could get. He got her in on Tuesday the 19th and took a quick look at her tonsils and ears and said, "can you come in for surgery this Thursday the 21st?" That is exactly what I was hoping for! We were rushed to get everything ready, pre-op and such, but I am glad we did. This way she has her full two week recovery before we get on a plane to Pennsylvania. I did not want her to fly for the very first time without having the surgery, that change in altitude just being up in PA, not to mention going up and down in the plane could have really bothered her.
So, yesterday was her surgery. She handled it great! The doctor told me "her tonsils were huge!" He said her adenoids were swollen, but not terrible, and the tubes were more of a precautionary thing since he was already in there, and she had been complaining about her ears. She didn't want to stay at the hospital when she came out of surgery, but who would want to! She kept crying to me, "take me home Mommy, I don't want to be here, I don't ever want to come back here, even when I'm an adult!" Sam wasn't kicking and screaming like Madi was, but she did rip her IV out of her arm. Unlike Madi when she had this exact same surgery, Sam was wanting to drink right away, but she'd cry after taking a sip (normal). The rest of the day Sam rested, and occasionally got up to say HI to Dani or to color a few lines on a picture, or to have a popsicle, but for the most part she just rested. By mid day though, she wouldn't talk (at all, not one word) because her throat was hurting. She would just stare at me, helplessly, her lips tightly keeping that mouth closed, looking at me with those sad eyes. Her throat was bothering her so much by the end of the night that when we gave her her pain medicine, she gagged and threw it up. Poor thing.
But, today is a new day...hopefully she wakes up here in just a little bit feeling much better!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment