OK...where to begin. I recently found out that Killeen offers 4 year old pre-kindergarten. I thought...that's great! Sam can start real school, we wouldn't have to pay for her to be going to Mom's Day Out next year, etc...
But very quickly the excitement turned into a pain in my chest that I have only felt twice in my life: once shortly before Sam was born when I started wondering if I would be a good enough Mom, and the other...well, it's just not something I can talk about.
Am I ready to send my daughter to school 5 days a week from 7:30 in the morning to 2:45 in the afternoon? Will Madison ever get to nap again because we'll have to leave so early to go get Sam? Will Sam be a good student? Was I a good enough teacher to her for her first few years? Will she be accepted? Will she get picked on? Will she ever be able to eat in the cafeteria or will I have to make her PB&Js every day of the week? Will she like it? If she doesn't get picked for the clustered (advanced) class at the end of pre-k does that mean I didn't do my job? Is a 4 year old ready for school all day every day? Is my Sam ready?
Then to make matters worse, I find out today that we are not zoned for the school nearest us, we are zoned for Pershing Park. It is located right on the highway near Ft. Hood St, in the ghetto. AND....oh yeah there is more...www.greatschools.org states: "Based on its state test results, it has received a GreatSchools Rating of 3 out of 10." With the percentage rates given on there, white children are the minority, there are 20 kindergarten students to a class, the parents on the website all rate the school poorly (I know I can't truly rely on those parental ratings because it is usually the person who has a problem with the company that leaves the rating), and so on.
Memorial Christian Academy is the private school in the area. I would love to send Sam there, however, it is $3300 per year, or $366 a month.
So, first I was excited, then I felt as if I was having an anxiety attack, and now I am so scared I tear up every time I think about it. Is putting your child in school really this difficult?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment