Thursday, February 19, 2009

My work...

So there is a new consignment sale coming to Bell County. It is called MamaCents Consignment. It's a bi-annual sale for you to sell your stuff, and have the opportunity to buy all kinds of goodies for your kiddos (and for expecting mamas too). I actually have absolutely no idea how I ended up doing it, but I am on the "staff." I went to a meeting at the local inflatable playland just to get a little info about it, and when I told the lady there that I really loved the one in AL that I used to go to and that I wished there was one here and I had even tossed the idea around in my head about starting one (didn't stay in my mind long)...well, apparently she liked my "enthusiasm" and emailed me around the holidays asking to get together with me for lunch and to talk more about the sale. Well, it turns out this lady runs the one in Austin, and has started one for the local area, even though she lives in Round Rock. Apparently she took a liking to me and before I knew it I was being called a "super volunteer" and I am in charge of getting the word out and of sponsorship for the local area. My benefits you ask...I get 85% of profit for selling my goods (instead of 60% for moms simply consigning), and I get to shop a day before all volunteers and two days before the general public! She even told me when we met the other day that if I enjoy helping her out, there is a very good possibility I will get PAID to do this for her in the future! She says she has a select few that "work" for her only twice a year around the sales and she pays them "well" she stressed. So, here I am now, having NEVER been in a position of asking businesses for money, and a little weirded out by it...but I have been doing it for two days now and already I have 5 sponsors. Everyone I have spoken to has wanted to do some level of sponsorship! I have no idea what I am doing, but it seems to be working!!! I really think it's because something like this sells itself. Lots of moms coming to shop...so stick mom friendly businesses in the mix and whalah!!
Greg is getting a little perturbed that I have been on the computer a lot lately (instead of lying down at night and watching TV with him) but all of this has happened at once! I started my blog, started a playgroup, and am volunteering for MamaCents...all in a two week time frame! Sheesh!!
Even though I am making twice as many lists as I normally do (those of you who know me well know that that means LOTS of lists) and having an even harder time keeping up with them, I am feeling really good about myself right now. Not only am I taking care of my family, but I am "working" outside of the home, no matter how minor it may be. It makes me feel like I'm not completely lost into the "stay at home mom" role. Man...I need to finish my degree so I can get back to work!!!
But, at the end of the day....at this moment in my life, home is exactly where I belong, exactly where I feel I am needed, and where my best job is!
It's right where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment