As most of you know, I was almost finished with my pre-med degree when our beautiful 1st baby girl was born. Since then, we haven't lived in an area that allowed me to complete my degree. I only had some upper level sciences (with labs) left, and that required on-campus class time in a 4 year pre-professional accredited college. So, my career was put on hold for my family. And no, I have never and will never regret that; I honestly would not have had it any other way. I will forever cherish the time I have been blessed to have and will continue to have with my girls.
But, the time has come...I am finally ready to begin a second career, second to my first and most favorite career of being a Stay At Home Mom!
Today I put in my application for re-admittance into the University of Texas-Arlington, and filed my FAFSA (financial aid application)! After years of debate (and over-analyzing) I have decided to forego the pre-med degree and pursue a nursing degree. While the passion I have for the medical field will never fade, I have come to terms with the fact that medical school, small children, and the Army just don't go hand in hand. So, what's the next best thing to being a doctor (some say even better than being a doctor)? Why yes, it's a nurse!
I will not start nursing school while still here in Texas. My plan is finish a bachelor's degree as quickly as possible so that I can start my 2nd degree BSN as soon as we move next summer. When I say 'A' bachelor's degree...I mean the fastest degree I can get, while still in a non-desirable location. Which means I will readmit myself back into UTA under the "University Studies" program (it's a degree that involves 3 areas of focus, for those that can't make up their mind what they want to do, those that have put off graduating and need to finish quickly, those that have too many credits from multiple transfers, and most importantly, can be finished online). If you have 15 hours or more in each of 3 different degree programs, with 6 or more hours being upper level classes, you can qualify for this degree. Under this degree plan, I only have 2 classes left to take!!! So, I will take those two and two nursing pre-requisites, all online, these next two semesters (one of each for each semester, qualifies me as a part-time student and eligible for financial aid). Then I will graduate in the Spring, just in time for Greg to come home and for us to move. Then I will start nursing school that Fall. Hopefully, assuming my time line works out; it may have to be Spring that I start, but we'll leave that up to the Army to decide.
I am excited to be so close! Now if everything would just work out according to my plan...how often does that actually happen?? Hahaha



No comments:
Post a Comment